- Make sure your Windows 10 works.
- Make sure you are using the same version of Windows 8.1 you had before.
- You must be online the whole time. Your Windows 10 has to work because we are going to “Uninstall it”. If it doesn’t work for any reason DON’T INSTALL WINDOWS 8.1 RIGHT AWAY. I warned you!!
You need to repair or fresh install your version of Windows 10 in order to complete this tutorial. I made a post about it so feel free to check it out!
Uninstalling Windows 10
The first step is running the command prompt in administrator privileges.
and type in the commandslmgr /dlv
You will get an information box about your computer. What we need from here is the Activation ID.
- After getting it we are going to uninstall that product key (so we can use it after reinstalling 8.1). Type in :
slmgr /upk 181520dd-3fc4-4df2-81f5c513467ad56d –
- Iblurred out my key, so just put in yours-
- If a box comes out saying your product is uninstalled. You done it right.
- Go check the activation. If it says it’s not activated, then you are free to move into the next step.
Installing Windows 8.1
Activating Windows 8.1
You will get a box saying key XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX installed successfully.
When checking the Windows activation, I found that the key used to activate was the same I had before upgrading to Windows 10. (I blurred mine for obvious reasons).
You must be online the whole time.